Subject: Re: change the default console color
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Florian_St=F6hr?= <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/26/2004 13:51:25
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Billy Eipp wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2004, at 2:46 AM, Florence HENRY wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >> Hi, I just installed netbsd 1.6.2 on an i386 server (standard install,
> >> no X windows) and I would like to make the color of the foreground
> >> different than white. I've searched and cannot find the way to do
> >> this.
> >>
> >> I've used netbsd before and I think there is an easy command to set
> >> the
> >> color (say to green), but I can't remember.
> >
> > I know it is possible with bash (my father colored the foreground in
> > green), but I don't know how to do it.
> >

> I found this link from google groups that has some suggestions on how
> to change the fg/bg from a shell. I was hoping to find a flexible
> command line option.
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF
> -8&selm=5ii58.92%24j_4.68473%40news.uswest.net
>

> > --
> > Florence HENRY
> > florence.henry@obspm.fr
> >

> Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
> Billy

Well, the kernel option you think about only changes the color
of the kernel messages (I use CYAN for my custom kernels to
distinguish from GENERIC kernels):

options 	WS_KERNEL_FG=WSCOL_CYAN
#options 	WS_KERNEL_BG=WSCOL_BLACK

If you want a REALLY colorful console (like on alpha, white on blue),
you have to hack the file /usr/src/sys/dev/ic/vga.c

For alpha:

#ifdef __alpha__
	if (!vc->hdl.vh_mono)
		/*
		 * DEC firmware uses a blue background.
		 */
		res = vga_alloc_attr(scr, WSCOL_WHITE, WSCOL_BLUE,
				     WSATTR_WSCOLORS, attrp);
	else
#endif

you could do a similar one for your platform with your favourite colors
here.

With bash, I also did it once by using standard ANSI sequences.

Cheers
Florian