Subject: Re: streaming mp3 on www
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/25/2004 20:49:58
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Rick Kelly wrote:

> Have all the streaming MP3 sites disappeared? Used to be a lot of them
> out there, but now everything seems to be proprietary Windoze special
> MP3.

Whew, there's still one left. I'm listening to WONC's 64k mono stream
now:

    http://www.wonc.org/index2.html

;) Actually, there's lots, and there's nothing proprietary about mp3
streams. I bet what's getting you, is that the link on the web site is
typically to a little text file which contains the URI of the stream,
rather than the URI of the stream. "xmms" can open those directly, but
you could also download the file to view the URI inside, for the
purpose of feeding it to other players.

Here's a directory which has a lot of streaming mp3 sites:

    http://www.radio-list.com/

or, to approach the problem from another angle, the MIT Radio Locator,

    http://www.radio-locator.com/

may just list your favorite local low-power college station, many of
which are embracing streaming mp3.

Frederick