Subject: Re: cluster waste?
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/24/2004 00:06:24
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Any "elevator" type
> algorithm that sorts the per-partition motion for "closeness" is going
> to clash with the same code running on behalf of the other fs
> partitions (or even swap) on that disk.
>
> (This assumes my understanding of how things works is correct.  I
> *think* the I/O sorting is all on a per-partition basis.)

I guess this is not the case. The FS code may try to allocate blocks on
the partition so that file data tend to be contiguous, and if not, then
close; but the actual block operation reordering is due by the cache
subsystem which deals with the whole device as a whole.

I may be wrong on that though - I haven't checked the source, at least
on BSD.

mortee

--
The point is that, unlike a command tool for techies that should give
them lots of choices, the goal of a GUI is to present the user with as

	- Eric S. Raymond: The Luxury of Ignorance