Subject: local imap folders to pop3- tools?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2004 19:51:05
I'm looking for some way to convert IMAP folders to a format that pine
(eventually Eudora on Windows) can handle, to switch a IMAP account to
POP3 access.

My wife's had mailbox overflow issues at work for a while, especially
since she uses a
webmail portal and that does not report the size/quota of her
mailbox... which is bad as messages bounce and she never knows it
unless the
ohter party phones her or something (telephones...perish the
thought...).  She's on Win98, but I thought maybe there were some utils
in NetBSD that I could use for the move.

Anyway I want to set up (I have set up) local copies of everything in
her Windows/ Eudora IMAP  folders (50+ folders) in Eudora 6, then want
to switch her to using POP3, with
the POP3 client set to leave mail on the server for say 4 days- so
email can be
referenced from both home and work via webmail, but the final archived
copy will
end up on her desktop at work.  4 days of mail souldn't provide much of
problem re: quotas.

The problem with this, of course, that in Eudora, even though I now
have local
copies of the IMAP server content, they still mirror the server (delete
stuff
from server, content will vanish) and you can't drag-n-drop IMAP
folders from
the server side to the local mailfolders (permanent archive) side of the
program.  Only individual messages can get copied, which means setting
up 50+
folders by hand, and moving all the messages manually. Bleah.  I'd just
switch her client to POP3 and she could manually or via rules move new
messages to the existing folders, except switching her to  POP3 in
Eudora will flush all the IMAP message folders and content, it won't
persist.  Of  course current messages in the IMAP inbox get seen by a
POP3 connection but none of the other folders will.  Moving everything
from the present IMAP folders, into IMAP INBOX, downloading them bia
POP3, then recreating the folder hierchy and sorting jsut doesn't sound
appealing either.

Is there a way to do this without losing all of the folder hierarchy?
I thought perhaps using a unix IMAP client on my NetBSD box to get the
structure copied there, convert them to a format that Eudora (windows)
could slurp up, then perhaps move the mailfolders around via sftp or
some such, but I'm not sure that will work (getting that into a
Windows-compatible format on the other end).

So far, I've looked at fetchmail and the UW IMAP utilities but don't
see that they can help move local IMAP structures into a format that
Eudora could process once I move it to Windows.

Thoughts welcome; am I making this too hard?

Thanks,

Brian