Subject: Re: cluster waste?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/19/2004 09:44:27
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@research.att.com> writes:

> Has anyone revalidated those numbers for modern disks?  When FFS first
> came out, there was a lot of talk about rotational optimizations,
> staying within the cylinder, etc.  Nowadays, of course, that's all
> mythical.

I believe rotational optimization is mythical due to whole-track
buffering (as well as not knowing the layout), but staying 'close' in
cylinder space probably still helps, in terms of small seeks vs
whole-disk seeks.

It should be possible to figure out the real geometry with timing
experiments, but it seems no one has written a spiffy program to do
this.  It would require considerable thought to avoid getting fooled
by the disk's cache; perhaps it could be done with writes with WC
disabled.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>