Subject: Re: cluster waste?
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2004 13:47:44
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Johan Danielsson wrote:

> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> writes:
>
> > df, when run by a non-root user, shows the space without these x%
> > reserved (that it, it shows the space really usable by non-root
> > users).
>
> It depends on the filesystem, but for ffs it does no such thing.

Huh? Yes. df(1) shows how much free space there is. The additional x %
reserved for root is not included.

Junk:/home/bqt> df .
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0f    10157767  6218729   3431149    64%    /home

It don't take a genius to figure out that User+Avail < size. In my example
here, Used+Avail sums up to 9649878, which is exactly 95 % of the total
disk size.

But df(1) don't show it any different if your're root. The fun thing is if
you, as root allocate more disk than avail says exist. It works fine, and
capacity will show > 100%. :-)

	Johnny