Subject: Re: PDA which works nicely with NetBSD
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/16/2004 12:41:55
tron@zhadum.de (Matthias Scheler) writes:

> now that my good old Palm III starts to act flaky I'm thinking about
> getting a replacement. Can anybody recomment a PDA which works nicely
> with NetBSD? I'm right now using "pilotmgr" with a serial cradel to
> backup my Palm III and to upload new files to it. And I would like
> to have at least that level of support for the new one.

I like my Tungsten T, and it works reasonably well with NetBSD. I use
pilot-link, not pilotmgr. There are a couple of glitches with USB
support (1: occasionally hangs the machine; I'm working on that
now. 2: no good way to let an app just wait for the device to sync. 3:
not as fast as it should be, but usually faster than serial). There is
also the option (which I used for a while before I fixed the USB
stuff) of using a third-party serial cradle for the T.

Tungsten T's are avaliable used and at lower prices now, as the T2 is
the current model in that space - the T wasn't a current model for
very long. I expect the T2 would work about as well, since it's just
an incremental update to the T.

        - Nathan