Subject: Re: Running a -current kernel with -stable userland for testing purposes
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ian Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/2004 11:55:20
On Mar 11, 2004, at 11:07 PM, Simon Burge wrote:

> "Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:
>
>> There are some commands that are unlikely to work -- in particular,
>> anything that tries to look at kernel data structures.  ps is
>> certainly
>> in that category.  I have no idea about X servers.
>
> Just a little clarification - some kernel grovellers (including ps
> and top) that use sysctl(3) to get all info instead of groping around
> /dev/mem should work with any newer kernel, and it's a bug if they
> don't.  vmstat is a common one that does break often when used on a
> newer kernel.
>
> Simon.
> --
> Simon Burge                            <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
> NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/

	I just finished running a -current kernel with a -stable userland.  I
was
able to run X and test out the capabilities of my Video Chip, which had
been
added to -current.
	I was able to run ps(1) when in this environment.  I, however, don't
plan
on using this combination on any regular basis.  I now have to decide
whether
to upgrade and run full -current, as it appears that my sound chip is
also fully
supported in -current.
	I didn't try to run vmstat while in the mixed environment, but I can
test that
out if the results would be useful somehow.

Ian P. Thomas