Subject: Several questions
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/10/2004 12:38:12
I have some experience in running and maintaining FreeBSD, but some issues
puzzle me in NetBSD:

- how to get the console to scroll? Activating Scroll-Lock "freezes" the
screen (nothing is output), but PgUp, PgDown and arrow keys do nothing.

- how to switch virtual consoles? (maybe I need to activate them first?)

- Even when accessing via ssh (putty), i still have console issues
(TERM=linux often does funny things, and with TERM=vt100 most of the keys
and functions (color, although not in all applications) work, except the
"function" keys (F1..F12).

- I ran bonnie++ on a partition with soft-updates and got 730 files/sec
create score. This is abysmally small compared to FreeBSD 4.9 (almost 17000
files/sec). Is that normal? (is this related to FreeBSD's dirhash?) Some
other scores are also funny: Almost 43MB/s *putc()* output, which is almost
the same number as sequential *block* output (about 49MB/s, which is normal
for the machine) while in FreeBSD I get 136 *KB/s* for it. Does NetBSD have
some extra-ordinary putc() optimisation? Maybe some buffering?

--
Every sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology
    - Arthur C Anticlarke