Subject: Re: Understanding the NetBSD kernel
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2004.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/07/2004 13:21:13
Quoting Thor Lancelot Simon (tls@rek.tjls.com):
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:43:43AM -0800, Sascha Retzki wrote:
> Hi.  I've reformatted your text, which was a single line of several
> hundred characters, to conform to mailing-list norms so that I could
> respond to it without going insane.  When sending mail to the NetBSD
> lists in the future, please do try to limit yourself to lines of a
> bit less than 80 characters.

fmt(1) defaults to 72 character width.  This conforms to punch
cards (minus 8 chars for line numbering in FORTRAN).  All lists
are archived onto punch cards, so please be considerate ;)

> > kernel programmers. What I look for is a "tutorial", teaching me how
> > kernels work, how NetBSD solves typical low-level tasks and so on and
> > explaining the "philosophy" or better the organisation of the syssrc.
>
> As a start, you'll want to read the "daemon book", _The Design and
> Implementation of the 4.4BSD Unix Operating System_.  Though the

Yes, about the same kernel; the same theories of organization,
though the code may be a bit different.  God, has it been 11 years?!