Subject: 3ware 5000 series control crash
To: NetBSD users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton-netbsdusers@miltonstreet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/06/2004 10:41:58
I have convered an old machine that was a Windows server
into a NetBSD mail server.  The machine has a 3ware 5000
series RAID card in it.  This morning I came to ssh into
the machine and low and behold the machine has crashed
because the mirrored drives got out of sync.

Is this normal?  My migration from the old mail server
(lacking mirrored drives) to this machine is not complete,
but if the way NetBSD hands things when the RAID is out of
sync is by crashing, I don't see much point in the RAID
drives.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

This getting out of sync did happen with the Windows, but
the Windows server did not crash, there was a program that
would send me an email and I would tell the controller to
rebuild the RAID and all was well again.  Is this possible
with netBSD?

Sam