Subject: Re: Understanding the NetBSD kernel
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/04/2004 12:51:02
On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:43:43AM -0800, Sascha Retzki wrote:
> Hello,

Hi.  I've reformatted your text, which was a single line of several
hundred characters, to conform to mailing-list norms so that I could
respond to it without going insane.  When sending mail to the NetBSD
lists in the future, please do try to limit yourself to lines of a
bit less than 80 characters.

> kernel programmers. What I look for is a "tutorial", teaching me how
> kernels work, how NetBSD solves typical low-level tasks and so on and
> explaining the "philosophy" or better the organisation of the syssrc.

As a start, you'll want to read the "daemon book", _The Design and
Implementation of the 4.4BSD Unix Operating System_.  Though the
kernel it describes is very different in some respects from the
NetBSD kernel that has evolved in the past 11 years since the book
was written, it will certainly teach you "how kernels work", what sort
of "low-level tasks" must be solved, and so forth.  Also, the general
organization of the kernel into its major subsystems is still very
close to that described in the book.  Armed with a basic familiarity
with the job of the kernel and with the internals of a closely related
kernel, you'll be much better equipped to understand the NetBSD kernel
by reading its source code and the section 9 manual pages.

Another useful book is _Code Reading_, which uses a comparatively
recent NetBSD kernel as an example.