Subject: Re: Getting X up and running (dotclock)
To: Sam Carleton <scarleton-netbsdusers@miltonstreet.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/01/2004 22:33:33
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Sam Carleton wrote:

> No, I have the NEC FP2141, I run WinXP on it at 1920x1440
> @ 85Hz, so I think it will handle everything and anything
> the video card can put out:)
>
> > If not, just try defaults first.
> >
> > Try to run XFree86 using that generated config.
>
> It ran, just at 640x480

Have a look at the /var/log/XFree86.?.log file. It will tell you what
depths and modes are available.

Try running with "-depth 24" and try using CTRL-ALT-PLUS (or -MINUS,
using Plus or Minus  on the numpad) to change video modes.

> and I did not have a windows
> manager installed yet.  Which windows manager do folks
> recommend?  Last time I messed with X Windows I used
> fvwm2, a bit old by todays standards.

I don't like fvwm2. Blackbox is what I use. IceWM is also fine (but may be
still broken in pkgsrc).

> Ok, so is dotclock simply the refresh rate to run at?

The DotClock is different than the refresh rate.

> In the book I have, the old out of date one, there are two
> different sets of four numbers after the dotclock, one is
> horiz and the other is vert.  Should I simply leave those
> blank?

You could set VertRefresh and HorizSync for your monitor.

I used google and found a PDF at
http://www.necmitsubishi.com/corpus/P/3/brochure_fp912sb_fp2141sb_4page2.pdf

The fourth page says: The Horizontal range is 30-140 kHz and the vertical
range is 50-160 Hz. (And the Pixel clock is 390 MHz.)

I would try:

VertRefresh 50 - 160
HorizSync 30 - 140

and

DefaultDepth 24

(You may need to define the modes for the default order of modes used.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/