Subject: Re: Getting X up and running (dotclock)
To: NetBSD users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton-netbsdusers@miltonstreet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/01/2004 23:17:22
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 06:58:42PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Sam Carleton wrote:
>
> > >   XFree86 -configure
>
> > Cool, that got me the info about the video card:
> > Now I need to figure out the dotclock, horiz, and vert for
> > the Monitor section.  Yes?  Now do I do that?  My book is
>
> You probably don't need to.
>
> Did it detect your monitor?

No, I have the NEC FP2141, I run WinXP on it at 1920x1440
@ 85Hz, so I think it will handle everything and anything
the video card can put out:)

> If not, just try defaults first.
>
> Try to run XFree86 using that generated config.

It ran, just at 640x480 and I did not have a windows
manager installed yet.  Which windows manager do folks
recommend?  Last time I messed with X Windows I used
fvwm2, a bit old by todays standards.

> Then look on the web using google for information as needed.

Ok, so is dotclock simply the refresh rate to run at?
In the book I have, the old out of date one, there are two
different sets of four numbers after the dotclock, one is
horiz and the other is vert.  Should I simply leave those
blank?

Sam