Subject: Re: Getting X up and running (dotclock)
To: Sam Carleton <scarleton-netbsdusers@miltonstreet.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/01/2004 18:58:42
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Sam Carleton wrote:

> >   XFree86 -configure

> Cool, that got me the info about the video card:
> Now I need to figure out the dotclock, horiz, and vert for
> the Monitor section.  Yes?  Now do I do that?  My book is

You probably don't need to.

Did it detect your monitor?

If not, just try defaults first.

Try to run XFree86 using that generated config.

Then look on the web using google for information as needed.

I am working on packaging kudzu-knoppix and hwdata-knoppix packages.
hwdata-knoppix provides a MonitorsDB that lists stuff like:

# Supplies similar information to the data in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards
# file about video cards.
#
# Each line has format:
#   <Manufacturer>; <Monitor name>; <EISA ID (if any)>; <horiz sync in \
#   Khz>; <verc sync in Hz>; DPMS support

For example:
ViewSonic; ViewSonic 15G; vs_15g; 30-64; 50-90; 1

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/