Subject: Re: Getting X up and running
To: Sam Carleton <scarleton-netbsdusers@miltonstreet.com>
From: Art Lemasters <slemas1@mindspring.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/01/2004 19:04:15
Sam Carleton wrote:
> Would you believe that I have been running NetBSD for
> three or four years and never had X Windows running?  It
> is true, I have had netBSD running on a slow machine that
> is a firewall:)
>
> Ok, so it is time for me to get X running on my mail
> server.  I have a 10 year old book on linux that talks
> about getting X setup.  It claims that you can use X
> -probeonly to discover your video card info, but when i do
> that I get this:

> XFree86 Version 4.2.1 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
> Release Date: 3 September 2002
>         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
>         newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
>         reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
> Build Operating System: NetBSD/i386 1.6.1_RC1 [ELF] The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>          (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>          (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Mar  1 20:34:53 2004
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/XF86Config"
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
> the full server output, not just the last messages.
> This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
> Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.
> What am I missing?

   Did you put configuration information in XF86Config, and put
that in your /etc/X11 directory?  Do "locate XF86Config" (without
the quotes) to find an example file to fill in.

   And install aperture, Sam.  It's in sysutils.  During the
install, the package will tell you to put a line in /etc/lkm.conf
and what to write.

HTH,

Art