Subject: Getting X up and running
To: NetBSD users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton-netbsdusers@miltonstreet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/01/2004 20:38:44
Would you believe that I have been running NetBSD for
three or four years and never had X Windows running?  It
is true, I have had netBSD running on a slow machine that
is a firewall:)

Ok, so it is time for me to get X running on my mail
server.  I have a 10 year old book on linux that talks
about getting X setup.  It claims that you can use X
-probeonly to discover your video card info, but when i do
that I get this:

XFree86 Version 4.2.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 3 September 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: NetBSD/i386 1.6.1_RC1 [ELF] The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Mar  1 20:34:53 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/XF86Config"
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86@xfree86.org.
What am I missing?

Sam