Subject: is mozilla very slow on alpha, or is mozilla-gtk2 slow everywhere?
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/01/2004 03:57:07
I finally got mozilla-gtk2-1.6nb2 to build, install, and run on my
alpha, but I find it deathly slow.  Netscape-4.6 was faster on my
ancient 486sx25!  My alpha is no slouch though it is currently running
only one of its CPUs as the SMP code is currently too flaky on alpha
with 1.6.2_RC2:

	AlphaServer 4000 5/400 4MB, 400MHz, s/n NI64906T1N
	8192 byte page size, 2 processors.
	total memory = 1536 MB
	(2080 KB reserved for PROM, 1533 MB used by NetBSD)
	avail memory = 1421 MB
	using 9830 buffers containing 78640 KB of memory

It takes over a minute of CPU time for mozilla just to put up the
profile selector, and another 50 CPU seconds to fetch and render the
default home page.  That's a hell of a lot of CPU cycles.

So, is mozilla just very slow on alpha, or is mozilla-gtk2 slow
everywhere?

The gtk-demo program from gtk2+-2.2.4nb4 seems a little slower than I
would hope it should be, but I've not yet built it on i386 or sparc so
I've nothing to compare the alpha's performance against yet.  It doesn't
seem as incredibly slow as Mozilla is though.

Sadly the '-install' option (for my 8-bit NCD HMX display) doesn't seem
to be working completely either (images and icons are fuzzy even though
a private colour-map is allocated and used).  That seems to be a GTK2
issue for certain though as I've used mozilla-1.6 from an i386 on an NCD
and it seemed to work just fine....

--
						Greg A. Woods