Subject: Re: perl and cpan
To: Sam Carleton <scarleton-netbsdusers@miltonstreet.com>
From: Ian Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/29/2004 23:06:27
On Feb 29, 2004, at 8:15 PM, Sam Carleton wrote:

> first off, I hate perl!!!!  But that is just me:)  I ran
> 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' as root and allowed cpan to auto
> configure, now it cannot install a darn thing.  How do i
> get the config prompts back so I can set them correctly?

	Try doing 'help' at the shell prompt while in interactive.
mode.  'o conf' will give you all your configuration values.

> Oh, this is a new install of NetBSD 1.6.1 and the pkgsrc
> installed Perl 5.6.1, why such an old version?  Should I
> upgrade to the latest?  If so, what is the best way to do
> it?
>
> Sam

	You may want to check the docs here on pkgsrc

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html

	I love what perl allows me to accomplish, but I haven't
had much success with CPAN recently.  This, however is on
my OS X laptop. YMMV.

Ian P. Thomas