Subject: dmesg output shows pci_mem_find: void region after update to
To: NetBSD-users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/23/2004 16:47:45
Hello there everyone,

after the update (through CVS) of my NetBSD 1.6.1 system according to
SA2004-04, I now see some strange output at boot time. Near detection
of the vga0 device, I get the following output:

vga0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: Intel 82845G/GL Integrated Graphics Device
(rev. 0x01)
pci_mem_find: void region
pci_mem_find: void region
pci_mem_find: void region
pci_mem_find: void region
wsdisplay0 at vga0 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)

Do these pci_mem_find message indicate any problem or harmful condition?
On other systems (with identical configurations), I do not see these lines.
The kernel in question is a custom-built one, although I get similar output
when
running a GENERIC kernel. Before, using a NetBSD 1.6.1 kernel with security
patches applied up to SA2004-02, I never received these messages.

Digging through the archives, I found PR kern/23446 that seems to deal with
the same problem. Yet I do not know whether this is something serious.

The complete dmesg output (should you require it) is at:
[ http://iverdahl.net/pub/20040223-NetBSD-dmesg-phillip.txt ]

Any insight is greatly appreciated,

Rogier Krieger