Subject: Re: serial console questions
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2004 10:00:20
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> > No, it won't panic, but the getty will flog itself to death if you
> > haven't configured "screen 0" in "/etc/wscons.conf". (When ttyE0 is
> > console, that's automatic.)
> and what if i uncomment screen 0 in /etc/wscons.conf and don't use serial
> console? can this cause any problems?

No, it'll just say "...already configured". It's harmless.

> > No idea; it works for me. I always set it to boot serial unattended,
> > in the bootblocks, so maybe there's a bug in "consdev com0"? Are you
> > sure your keyboard doesn't have a bad key?
> when i'm in command line on my computer (not serial console), i can switch
> between them without problems, but if i start x and try to get to any of virtual
> consoles using ctrl-alt-fx it doesn't do nothing - i don't think it would be due
> to bad key...

Indeed. X does have the opportunity to mess with the keys before
they're passed to wscons. For example, on the workstation I'm in
front of now, CONTROL_R/ALT_R/F1 switches to the console, but wscons
only recognizes *left*-CTL/*left*-ALT/F5 to switch back to X. I don't
suppose your X setup remaps any of the keys?

Frederick