Subject: Re: serial console questions
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2004 11:19:14
> 2) recompile the bootloader if CONS_OVERRIDE is not set
>
> i understand from what is written in boot_console(8) that console device
> and properties are saved in bootstrap by installboot.

Looks the the boot_console(8) is out of date!
You don't need to rebuild the bootcode in order to set the default
console.  It can be set by /sbin/installboot.

(OTOH 'consdev com0' is often enough.)

Last time set up a serial console I found that the PS/2 keyboard
wasn't usable by X.

I also once had a plan to allow the system to send console output to
both the VGA screen and a serial port - allowing you to hook up a
serial console if you think the system has dropped into kdb.
However I haven't done anything (at all) about implementing it.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk