Subject: problems building libwww on fresh install
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/11/2004 15:21:56
I'm having trouble trying to build libwww on a freshly-installed system
with pkgsrc freshly updated from a mirror.

The problem is a conflict about versions of autoconf and automake.
Starting with nothing installed, I get autoconf213 and automake14 built
by pkgsrc.  But libwww fails to build:

===> Configuring for libwww-5.4.0nb1
cd /usr/pkgsrc/www/libwww/work/w3c-libwww-5.4.0;  /usr/pkg/bin/aclocal-1.4 &&  /usr/pkg/bin/automake-1.4 -i &&  /usr/pkg/bin/autoconf-2.13
FATAL ERROR: Autoconf version 2.50 or higher is required for this script
*** Error code 2

Manually installing later versions of automake and autoconf doesn't help.
I thought that setting AUTOCONF_REQD to 2.13 in the Makefile would solve
it, but it doesn't.

This is a critical problem, because lots of things I require (like teTeX
and magicfilter) seem to need libwww.  Has anyone else seen this?