Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2004 16:11:57
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Greg Troxel wrote:

> At the risk of beating a dead horse, I must say that while I thought I
> understand this all pretty well, I found the xterm man pages to be
> hard to follow.  I wrote the following in my .Xresources to clarify
> things for myself, and I hope others find it helpful.
>
> I now understand why I was losing with the Ultra5 install.  I had not
> set backarrowKey to false, so the i-want-it-to-be-DEL key generated BS
> and the single-user shell on the Ultra5 had erase set to DEL (as it
> should).

Well, I thought I had a pretty good grasp on things, but I definitely
didn't know that xterm by default set the cchar erase to the termcap bs
entry, or that xterm could inherit the cchar erase from the tty from which
it was started.

The rest of xterm I had whipped into doing as I wanted, but this was a
useful new piece of knowledge...

> Thanks to Johnny for complaining and Frederick and others for
> explaining how things work.  This has been annoying me ever since XF86
> 4 (when it seems to have started), but I had never dug in and really
> understood the details before.

I have to extend my thanks and apologies once more to Fredrick and others
as well.

	Johnny