Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2004 01:44:58
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Hmm, I must admit that I haven't tried if stty would work when running my
> .xinitrc, but that would be the one place I can think of that would
> possibly have been of help. But unless I'm confused, I cannot do an stty
> in my .xinitrc, since there is no tty.

Well, checked now to make sure, and no, I cannot do an stty in my
.xinitrc.
And any xterm I create from my .xinitrc will have erase bound to ^H by
default.

Please make sure that you don't have any .bashrc, .tcshrc or similar which
does an stty for you the first thing you do when you fiddle around now. I
have this, and it fooled me at first, since *.ptyInitialErase:true will
solve the problem if you start an xterm from another xterm, in which you
have already bound erase to ^?. But this is not true if you start the
xterm from somewhere where you don't have a terminal.

> > What change are you talking about? On my i386 kernel built Feb 7, the
> > erase character for /dev/ttyE? is still unchanged from the defaults
> > (i.e. ASCII DEL)?

Looking at my /dev/ttyE? devices I also see that they have erase bound to
^?, which suggests that perhaps my problem is a bit more local to
something connected with X. But I totally fail to understand what and why.

For some reason I cannot switch over to the other lines on my machine now,
so I cannot try logging in to any of the /dev/ttyE? lines, so I cannot say
what would happen with that terminal. (argh!)

	Johnny