Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2004 00:22:06
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > > echo "XTerm*ptyInitialErase: true" | xrdb -merge -
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > echo "*ptyInitialErase: true" | xrdb -merge -
> > >
> > > if your telnet starter's xterms have a different class name.
>
> > *ptyInitialErase is a resource for binding what character should be send
> > when pressing whatever key it figures. I already know what character I
> > want to send.
>
> No, that's not what it does. RTFM. What it does, is it turns off the
> setting of the erase character to the termcap "bs" entry, leaving it
> at the default, same as if you'd typed "stty erase ^?" before running
> telnet.

Hmm. I'm reading the manual. And according to it, if you set
ptyInitialErase to true, xterm will *use* the ptys sense of the stty erase
value, while if false, it will set the ptys erase value to whatever is in
termcap.

It finally sets the TERMCAP variable according to whatever it figured out.
So it will *not* set the cchar erase to DEL no matter what, unless I
totally misunderstand the manual page.

Perhaps you should RTFM then?

> It's a brute force hack, of course, making normal use of the
> workstation awkward, which is why I elaborated on how to get DEL vs.
> BS from the BackSpace key. The right thing to do, would be to tell the
> remote that you're in an xterm. ("tset xterm"?)

You're assuming way too much. :-)
I'm connected to an RSX system. There is no tset. There is no xterm
terminal type in RSX. There is no way to rebind delete to react on
something else than DEL.

I'm telling you, changing away from DEL is *not* an option. And previously
I never had problems, because NetBSD also used DEL for this. But recent
changes have switched over to use BS instead, and now I'm unhappy. I'm
looking for a way to get NetBSD back the way it was. Since noone have come
up with an answer to that one, I'll have to assume that it's not easily
done, and requires hacking the source.

	Johnny