Subject: RaidFrame Partitioning
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 22:55:05
Hello,

I've seen some conflicting information regarding partitioning of
RaidFrame components and partitions and was hoping for some
clarification or even just opinions. This is mainly with regards to a
mirrored set (raid 1.)

The NetBSD Guide suggests creating one large "RAID" partition on each
drive (i.e. one component per drive) then partitioning this raid device
into the desired filesystems.

Elsewhere (and I can't remember where, sorry) there was suggestion of
creating several RAID partitions on each drive, resulting in several
components per drive, each of which will house a single filesystem.

I initially did things the former way as it seemed simple. But
unfortunately I did a poor job of partitioning so now I must
re-configure the entire array (this alone may be an argument for the
latter.)

Also I've noticed some filesystem corruption popping up sporadically on
the root filesystem such as...

find: /usr/share/man/cat3/getnetgrent.0: Bad file descriptor

... in my daily insecurity output. I've only ever seen this with
RaidFrame. It has been happening for some time in small, subtle and
as-of-yet non-critical ways. Lucky me! This, of course, only gets fixed
by fsck-ing. Any idea of what's causing this or if it could be avoided
by configuring Raid differently?

What is the better way to partition our raid schemes?

I'm using -current (1.6ZG) at this time and will probably upgrade to
1.6ZI or higher after re-partitioning.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks,

Louis