Subject: Re: live cd
To: M.Negovanovic <milosn@xtra.co.nz>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 18:38:41
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, M.Negovanovic wrote:

> > /dev is MFS by default. It is built-in to NetBSD's init(8) and used if
> > /dev/console is missing.
> hmm cool i didn't know that! so basically if there is no /dev/console
> init(8) will make /dev? leaving /dev/console as only device on the CD is
> the idea i borrowed from "disk-less netbsd" documentation.

My /dev/MAKEDEV at first is:

#!/bin/sh -

# this only makes some devices as needed for minimal use
# startup later will run /usr/local/bin/MAKEDEV.real

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
umask 77

# mknod console c 0 0  # not needed because made by init
mknod kmem c 2 1 ; chmod 640 kmem ; chgrp kmem kmem
mknod mem c 2 0	; chmod 640 mem	; chgrp kmem mem
mknod null c 2 2 ; chmod 666 null
mknod tty c 1 0 ; chmod 666 tty
mknod wsmouse c 65 0 ; chown root.wheel wsmouse ; chmod 600 wsmouse

mknod cd0a b 6 0
mknod rcd0a c 15 0
chgrp operator cd* rcd*
chmod 640 cd* rcd*

mknod ttyE0 c 47 0
mknod ttyE1 c 47 1
mknod ttyE2 c 47 2
mknod ttyE3 c 47 3
mknod ttyE4 c 47 4
chown root.wheel ttyE*

mknod ttyp0 c 5 0
mknod ptyp0 c 6 0
mknod ttyp1 c 5 1
mknod ptyp1 c 6 1
mknod ttyp2 c 5 2
mknod ptyp2 c 6 2
mknod ttyp3 c 5 3
mknod ptyp3 c 6 3
chgrp wheel ttyp* ptyp*

Then (like shown in other email) I build more devices later.

> > I use mount_null instead of union. Where is an example of using
> > mount_union?
> again, i was referring to your notes there.

Funny. I compiled those notes long ago and never used them. I never
implemented it that way, even with the 10+ live CDs I have made.

I will update that page ...

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/