Subject: Re: Compilation problems
To: Florian =?iso-8859-1?q?St=F6hr?= <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
From: Klaus Klein <kleink@reziprozitaet.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 21:24:21
On Monday 09 February 2004 20:42, Florian St=F6hr wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Klaus Klein wrote:
> > On Monday 09 February 2004 13:00, Florian St=F6hr wrote:
> > > Any compilation of ANY package related to X11 fails on 1.6.2_RC4 on
> > > this platform. Still 2.95.3 on sgimips. Seems to have threadlib
> > > problems (afaik no native threads on this platform). Linking with
> > > pth-2.0.0 doesn't solve the problem.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Compiled it and got:
> > >
> > > root@sgi [/tmp/tt] # gcc -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11
> > > tt.c /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so: undefined reference to
> > > `__libc_cond_wait' [...]
> >
> > Are you possibly using a -current X11R6 snapshot in your otherwise
> > 1.6-ish userland?
> >
> [...]
> I used 1.6.2_RC4 from releng, and (also from releng)
> /pub/NetBSD-daily/current/.xsets/sgimips.

Well, "don't do that."

> But since there are (?) no native threads on this platform,
> could it really be that problem? Hm, I think the binary xsets from 1.6.1
> of the platform should work then, I'll just give em a try.

Sure there are, and your -current libX11 is aware of that, but the
perceived "downside" is a dependency on a more recent libc than
your threadstub-unaware 1.6.2_RC4 one is.  So, yes, the 1.6.1 sets
ought to work for you, but if thread support is important to you
you should consider going for -current with the whole system.

> In general, I don't like those snapshots without the x sets and I'd love
> to have also syssrc.tgz in the /sets folder. Anyone out there the same
> opinion?

Maybe you don't like it, but for now you'll have to cope with the
former.  The in-tree build infrastructure of the netbsd-1-6 branch
does not handle xsrc, which makes it infeasible to produce such
sets.  I'm not aware of plans about having this pulled into 1.6, but
those who know might speak up on that matter. :-)  As for the
source sets, obtaining these via anoncvs seems more feasible
at least to me, since the updates (after initially obtaining the
trees) are incremental and thus reasonably cheap.  (Hint: the
dates on the NetBSD-daily snapshots are for UTC, which makes
checking out that particular set of sources straight-forward.)

=2D Klaus