Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Ben Collver <collver1@comcast.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 15:11:47
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Ben Collver wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:21:42AM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > >  Since NetBSD/i386 pckbd/wscons emulates vt100 by
> > > default, I see an interesting puzzle.  The vt100 has both a backspace key
> > > (mapped to 8) and a rubout key (mapped to 127?).  Should the PC backspace
> > > key be mapped to backspace?  Sounds logical to me.
> >
> > This is where I totally don't agree. Where does it say that my key marked
> > "<-" should be called backspace?
>
> You'll find some PC keyboards where that key has the word "backspace"
> written on it.

Oh well. Atleast mine haven't.

> > Or, to express that specific problem another way: how do I get a tty to
> > bind erase to ^? when that tty just is created to run a telnet command?
>
> stty erase ^?

Sorry, but telnet don't have a stty command. Otherwise that would have
solved it in this case, yes.

> > > So far as I can tell, the most flexible way to change the default is
> > > something like:
> > > echo 'wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 42 = Delete"' >>/etc/rc.local
> >
> > That don't even start to solve the problems...
> > :-)
>
> In your original email, you said both in X and normal shells.  I assumed
> that you meant at the console when you said "normal shells".  My mistake.

Hmm, I don't remember my exact wording, but the problem is not just one of
getting my X, or wscons to send a DEL. The problem is that almost
everything now don't by default regard DEL as the character used to
delete, but instead expects me to send a BS for that. The thing is that I
really prefer having DEL for the job. Both since I also sometimes sit on
normal terminals, where I send DEL, and not even always can change it, and
that I often connect to other kind of systems, which expects DEL for the
job.

	Johnny