Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Ben Collver <collver1@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 06:04:36
On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 01:21:42AM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >  Since NetBSD/i386 pckbd/wscons emulates vt100 by
> > default, I see an interesting puzzle.  The vt100 has both a backspace key
> > (mapped to 8) and a rubout key (mapped to 127?).  Should the PC backspace
> > key be mapped to backspace?  Sounds logical to me.
>
> This is where I totally don't agree. Where does it say that my key marked
> "<-" should be called backspace?

You'll find some PC keyboards where that key has the word "backspace"
written on it.

> That same key on a VT100 and similar sends a DEL. Now, I know that a PC
> keyboard have a key marked "delete", but that key can send whatever it
> wants to (even DEL, see if I care), but the "<-" key above the
> return/enter key should send a DEL in my opinion, and did so in the past.
> I'd like to get it back that way, please.
>
> My latest problem (and the reason for my mail) was that an xterm I create,
> which does a telnet to a remote node, have this new PCish mapping locally.
> That means when I escape telnet, I have erase bound to ^H there, which
> messes with the fact that I have seen to it that my "<-" key sends a DEL.
>
> Or, to express that specific problem another way: how do I get a tty to
> bind erase to ^? when that tty just is created to run a telnet command?

stty erase ^?

> > So far as I can tell, the most flexible way to change the default is
> > something like:
> > echo 'wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 42 = Delete"' >>/etc/rc.local
>
> That don't even start to solve the problems...
> :-)

In your original email, you said both in X and normal shells.  I assumed
that you meant at the console when you said "normal shells".  My mistake.

Ben
--
Never wear your best pants when you go to fight for freedom.