Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 01:27:03
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Christian Biere wrote:
>
> > Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > > I don't like having ^H as the default for erase, and now it's both in X
> > > and normal shells. Is there an easy way to have something else as default?
>
> Why do you think it's the default in "X"? What are you seeing (exactly)?

Well, X per se, don't have any views on anything. It's rather the fact
that the X server per default sends the key symbols backspace when I press
the key marked "<-" on my keyboard.
However, most programs in X seem to like to interpret backspace as erase
the character to the left of the cursor. Fine, I don't agree but I can
deal with that.

> > For the console:
> > man gettytab; grep for "erase char".
> >
> > For xterm:
> > man xterm; grep for "backarrowKey", "ttyModes", "ptyInitialErase", and
> > "deleteIsDEL". You probably need only the latter two.
> >
> > Put your favorite settings into /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm to make them
> > the host-wide defaults.
>
> Don't do that!? It'll be overwritten on the next system update. A
> better way to do is, to do add such things to "~/.Xresources". For
> example:
>
> XTerm*VT100*Geometry:           100x32
> XTerm*deleteIsDEL:              true
> XTerm*background:               grey95
> XTerm*foreground:               blue4
> XTerm*saveLines:                255
>
> (By the way, "BackarrowKey" and "DeleteIsDEL" can be tried via the
> "xterm" pop-up menus; but BackarrowKey does the opposite of what the
> OP wants, and "DeleteIsDEL" only applies if you've already remapped
> your "Backspace" key to "Delete", in which case BackarrowKey will do
> nothing.)
>
> Then, you enable them by adding, to your "~/.xsession" or "~/.xinit"
> file (as applies):
>
>   xrdb -load ~/.Xresources
>
> Alternatively, you can "export XENVIRONMENT=~/.Xresources". The later
> will cause Xlib to read the file before starting every single client,
> the former stores the resources in the Xserver, which is somewhat more
> efficient.

All correct.

> > > And while I'm at it. I also hate having SHIFT toggle the fifth bit, I want
> > > it to always just set it.
> >
> > man xmodmap; Map Shift_L and Shift_R to Caps_Lock or vice-versa.
>
> How will that help? I understand the complaint to be that "SHIFT",
> with "CAPS" set, types small letters. There might be a way to change
> that with either "xmodmap" or "xkbcomp", but it doesn't sound trivial
> (or desirable, but that's just me).

Yup. I always want capital letters if I press shift, no matter what caps
lock happen to be. Just like typewriters way back to the 18th century do
(and eveything with a keyboard up until the IBM PC).

Obviously a lot of people now disagree with me, since this behaviour have
changed in the last few years. :-)

	Johnny