Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 01:13:01
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Christian Biere wrote:

> Johnny Billquist wrote:
> > I don't like having ^H as the default for erase, and now it's both in X
> > and normal shells. Is there an easy way to have something else as default?
>
> For the console:
> man gettytab; grep for "erase char".

That's not the same thing as the default. That's what you get when getty
runs. If you start a shell by any other means than through getty, gettytab
isn't used.

> For xterm:
> man xterm; grep for "backarrowKey", "ttyModes", "ptyInitialErase", and
> "deleteIsDEL". You probably need only the latter two.

Hum. We're talking about more than xterms when we get into X... But with
X, I suspect that the only possible way is to change the keymap layouts.

> Put your favorite settings into /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm to make them
> the host-wide defaults.

You're thinking too narrow... :-)

> > And while I'm at it. I also hate having SHIFT toggle the fifth bit, I want
> > it to always just set it.
>
> man xmodmap; Map Shift_L and Shift_R to Caps_Lock or vice-versa.

No no no. Caps Lock is something else.

	Johnny