Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Ben Collver <collver1@comcast.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/08/2004 06:57:55
On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 02:50:59PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> I've silently watched the creeping PCism for years, but I finally have to
> speak out, and ask one thing.
>
> I don't like having ^H as the default for erase, and now it's both in X
> and normal shells. Is there an easy way to have something else as default?

From what I read at http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/backspace.html, ^H as
backspace comes from American National Standard X3.4-1977, Section 5.1,
Control Characters.  Since NetBSD/i386 pckbd/wscons emulates vt100 by
default, I see an interesting puzzle.  The vt100 has both a backspace key
(mapped to 8) and a rubout key (mapped to 127?).  Should the PC backspace
key be mapped to backspace?  Sounds logical to me.

Here is the default mapping with my USB keyboard:
# wsconsctl map | grep -e BackSpace -e Delete
keycode 42 = BackSpace
keycode 76 = Delete
keycode 99 = KP_Delete KP_Decimal

So far as I can tell, the most flexible way to change the default is
something like:
echo "wsconsctl -w map+="keycode 42 = Delete" >>/etc/rc.local

Cheers,

Ben
--
Never wear your best pants when you go to fight for freedom.