Subject: pkgsrc, CVS, and the old "pkg" directory.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2004 07:41:38
Anoncvs seems to be very slow, now.  In fact, it even aborted a slow
crawl last night, so I have re-started it.  I'm trying to update
pkgsrc to a consistant state.

One thing that I've noticed, which is a bit disturbing, is that the
update seems to be reviving the old "pkg" directories.  As I recall,
those used to hold things like DESCR and such.  Some one-line parts
were incorporated into the Makefile, while other files were pulled
up a level.  This removed a fair amount of disk activity from
unpacking a pkgsrc tarball, etc.

Now, the old pkg directories are back.  But they are empty, save
for a CVS subdir, and respective contents for CVS maangement.

Is this planned, is it being addressed, or had no one noticed
that the pkg dirs were returning?  (I am pretty sure that this
is quite recent, as a "find . | grep pkg/CVS" got only as far as
my current pass at the CVS update.  Directories that have not been
touched for a few weeks did not turn up in the output.)

I've seen people mention the poor performance of CVS the past
couple of days, but no mention of the "pkg" dirs.