Subject: Urgent: Unable to login to Netbsd 1.61. box
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: None <rbhasin@hss.hns.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/02/2004 22:50:21
Hi,

 I am facing a strange problem while login to my netbsd box. Neither I am
able to login through console i.e. /dev/console and other relevant
/dev/ttyE* nor I am able to login through telnet. Though ftp to this box is
working perfectly well. I have tried login by using both root as well as a
normal user.

At the console its not providing me password prompt and it gives me the
login prompt back, with theerrors on my console....getty spwaning too
quickly on /dev/console or /dev/ttyE*.

When I do telnet onto this box from a remote system I get the error,
connection closed..i.e.
# \telnet opel
Trying 139.85.235.192...
Connected to opel.hss.hns.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

NetBSD/i386 (opel.hss.hns.com) (ttyp0)

Connection closed by foreign host.
#

I have tried commenting the consoles and ttyE* entries in /etc/ttys files but it has been of no use. I have also checked up the entries for telnet and
 login
in /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services file and they also seem to be fine. Even tried fsck manualy many a times but that has also been of no use.
I have even recreated all the tty devices in /dev directory using the command # /dev/MAKEDEV all, but still the problem exists.

Any help to sort out this problem would be highly appreciated.

Thanx in Advance.

Regds,
- Rajan

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems Limited
(HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information and
should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is
intended. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or
disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts no responsibility for
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this
email including damage from virus."