Subject: Re: What are these tags in pkgsrc CVS?
To: Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/27/2004 22:01:18
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Roman Kennke wrote:

> I just browsed the CVS repository of pkgsrc and saw, that there are a lots
> of tags besides the MAIN tree. Since I am running NetBSD 1.6.1, is there
> any sense sticking to one of the 1-6 tags/branches. And what is the
> difference between netbsd-1-6-RELEASE-base, netbsd-1-6-1-base,
> netbsd-1-6-1 and netbsd-1-6? Are these tags real branches, in the sense,
> that they are in any way maintained (e.g. security fixes)? Or are they
> only snapshots of pkgsrc at the time, when NetBSD 1.6.1 was released?
> Another problem is, that the HEAD branch often has broken packages.

[This is really a question for tech-pkg, so I'm cc'ing to that list.]

"pkgsrc-2003Q4" is the latest and greatest branch. That would be
your best bet, IMO, to get an initial set that builds and runs. In
principle, the latest branch should get security fixes, though I'm
not certain it's being kept up. In any case, audit-packages will
finger any installed packages that have been marked as insecure,
which you could then upgrade from the pkgsrc trunk.

Frederick