Subject: Re: afio 2.4.7 cannot read its own archives
To: Koen Holtman <koen@hep.caltech.edu>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/27/2004 00:56:57
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 @ 12:37 -0800, Koen Holtman said:

> > I've read complaints about this problem, but no solutions.
> >
> > afio for NetBSD can read other afio/cpio archives just fine, it just
> > fails writing them.
>
> Thanks for the detailed info on the problem.  It looks like this is a
> problem with the size of the size_t type on your OS, maybe coupled with an
> endianness issue.  It is really a bug in the afio-2.4.7 source code that
> only manifests itself on some platforms.

I thought about that, and have not had time to try patching for NetBSD
on sparc.

I think the new afio build in NetBSD pkgsrc is broken for sparc, and
will need to be patched.

> The good news is: this is problem very probably solved in afio-2.5.  So my
> suggestion is to compile afio-2.5 and see if it works by running the
> regression tests which are supplied with the sources.

I couldn't find a newer version when I went looking.

OK, I'll seek that out and see if it works before trying to fix the
problem for NetBSD-sparc.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["If you tell the truth, you don't have to
remember anything" -- Mark Twain]