Subject: Re: Interactive responsiveness under heavy I/O load
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/26/2004 21:57:07
--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

Johan A. van Zanten wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> > Have I stumbled across the reason softdep is not enabled by default, or
> > is there some other logic behind this?
=20
> My understanding of how soft dependencies works is that file system
> metadata is cached in memory for a short period of time (like 20
> seconds?), which means it's at risk (of being lost) if the machine were to
> loose power.

Can't comment on the 20 seconds but softdep claims that all you'll lose
is ``file data'', the filesystem itself will not be hosed. So it's much
better than ext2fs. Anyhow, the reasons that softdeps are disabled by
default arise from the no-quite-BSD license of ffs_softdep.c. There
are also several softdep bugs which are fixed in FreeBSD but not in
NetBSD. So, for example, if you run frequently into the situation of
a full partition, you don't really want to use softdeps.

--=20
Christian

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd--