Subject: Re: difficulty using cvs to retrieve security patches
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2004.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/23/2004 00:26:50
Quoting Anne Bennett (anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca):

> I can't seem to use cvs; could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> I tried to follow the instructions in (for example) NetBSD-SA2003-018
> to retrieve updated sources to fix security vulnerabilities (on
> NetBSD 1.6).  The advisory says:
>
> |  To update from CVS, re-build, and re-install named:
> |    # cd src
> |    # cvs update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6 dist/bind usr.sbin/bind
> |
> |    # cd usr.sbin/bind
> |    # make USETOOLS=no cleandir dependall
> |    # make USETOOLS=no install
>
> But when I
>
>   cd /usr/src
>   cvs update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6 dist/bind usr.sbin/bind

Yeah, my habit is:

cd /usr/src/dist/bind/
env CVSRSH=ssh cvs update --Ad -rnetbsd-1-6
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/bind/
env CVSRSH=ssh cvs update -PAd -rnetbsd-1-6

As you show, you know that using
cvs -t update -PAd -rnetbsd-1-6

  the -t will spit out more info that you want.

My habit is no space between -r and the TAG.  That may
be old superstition, but it's what I do.

Oh, I also use BIND9 which makes the patch moot :)