Subject: make update with half the fuss?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/23/2004 02:20:12
Hi,

I'm playing around with pkg_check -u and make update in pkgsrc.

I've observed that "make update" runs pkg_delete -r, then builds the
package, then re-installs the dependencies.

This behavior is both annoying and time consuming.  I recently wanted to
upgrade my Perl.  Simple enough, I thought.  make update.

Well, it deleted a large chunk of kde.  Then built perl.

How can I:

  1. Stop it from deleting things that depend on the package.
     In this case, there is no reason that it needs to delete kde.

  2. Have it delete the package only after "make build" is complete.
     There's no reason that Perl should have to be deinstalled before
     it starts building the new one.  Let it build it first, then
     deinstall it, then install the new.

Even better: why even deinstall at all.  Why not install the new
version, then delete any files/dirs that the old version provided that
were not present in the new one?

It really seems this could be a lot less disruptive.  Maybe I'm missing
something obvious?

Thanks,
John