Subject: Re: newbie questions
To: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/21/2004 13:44:35
Re. http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/netbsd-users/2004/01/20/0011.html

"wsmoused", I think, not "moused".  I don't use it; mousing on a text console
has always seed Wrong.  (I first saw some silly MS-DOS systems try to do that,
and it always irritated me and never was any real help.  Of course, part
of my attitude may be because they didn't handle upper boundary cases
correctly, so that it was hard to keep the mouse cursor in the last
columne (and row?).  If you "bounce" or "jiggle" at all, it would
fall back a column/row to the next-to-last.)

As for "extended partitions" this should not be a problem with NetBSD.
As you note, NetBSD uses its own internal partitioning scheme.  This makes
it a little "weird" on a PC, but since NetBSD isn't PC-oriented, it seems
better to use a general scheme everywhere than to use a bunch of different
schemes everywhere.  (IMHO, portability is about doing things once for N
systems, rather than using N #ifdef sections to do it N times for N
systems.  (^&  The latter *is* porting the code (poorly), but does not
make the code significantly more portable.)

Basically, at some level, NetBSD recognizes your disk and knows how
big it is.  The "c" and "d" lettered NetBSD labels are more for
reference than actual limits on where you can/can't point a disk-
label.  (At least, that was true in the 1.3 and, I think, 1.4
days.  I haven't done such things with NetBSD since then.)

Of course, I could be misremembering, or NetBSD may have enforced
its boundaries in more recent times.  But, if the past is still true,
the BIOS labeling of the disk is not a limitation on NetBSD's use of
it.  (There is, of course, some danger that if you don't know the
correct partition boundaries, you will cause yourself some grief, by
(e.g.) making a NetBSD partition straddle 2 BIOS partitions...)