Subject: Re: newbie questions
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2004 19:43:51
--Signature=_Tue__20_Jan_2004_19_43_51_+0100_PJEWP5VIMl.hGw.q

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:07:48 -0600 (CST)
Enrique Morfin <jemorfin@yahoo.com.mx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm new so i'm trying netbsd in an old pc at work, and
> in my home pc.
>
> I instaled netbsd 1.5.2, because is the version i
> have, how can i upgrade to current? is possible using
> the net?
>
> is there a http site with the iso images?

You can upgrade NetBSD via Internet easily. If the NetBSD-host is
connected to the internet directly, you can use CVS. This is described
in the NetBSD-Guide (www.netbsd.org/Documentation/).
You can also download ISO-images, look at www.netbsd.org for a mirror
near you. I have the same problem with firewalled-ftp-ports, but there
are some mirrors which allow ftp-access via http
(http://ftp.xxxxxxxx.yy).
Instead of downloading the ISOs and doing a binary upgrade, you can also
download just the sources, install them to /usr/src (in my experience
you better backup your kernel-config, 'rm -rf /usr/src' and install the
new sources) and easily recompile the system via build.sh. This is
described in the NetBSD-Guide, as well.
Depending on your native language, you might also find a translation
there.

> at work ftp is forbiden (by firewalls), so i can't
> download at work, and at home i have a 56k modem
> conecction.

If you have a CD-writer at work, you can download the sources there and
take it home on CD.

> at work i have a 8G HD, i instaled netbsd in the first
> 4G, can i instal linux or freebsd in the next 4G?

Sure. As of now, I have Win2k, FreeBSD 5.2, Gentoo Linux 1.4 and
Slackware 9.1 installed on my machine. Some time ago I also had
installed NetBSD. Worked fine. =) Only accessing other partitions from
NetBSD might not work, because of NetBSD's disklabel.
Creating and manipulating other's systems partition might also change
the mapping of letters<-->partitios in your disklabel.
If you want to be sure, install NetBSD onto the last (primary) partition
on your disc.

> Nothing hapens with the partition talbe?

Nope. Except for the problems I mentioned. NetBSD uses one primary
partition, inside which it creates a so-called disklabel. Inside this
disk-label, NetBSD creates its own partitioning scheme.

> Where is the boot config?
> What parameters i need to send to linux? and to
> freebsd?

Boot config. Eh, that depends on what bootloader you are using. I
suggest you use GRUB or LILO. Just install NetBSD's bootloader to its
own partition.

> If i alredy have a linux, can i install netbsd,
> without damage for linux?

Sure. I've done so more than once. =)

> at work i installed sucesfully, and configured some
> things, and instaled some packages from cd's.
> I'm trying to configure Xfree, but at startx, the
> mouse acts very wierd, unusable.
> Is a generic PS/2 mouse. I'm using PS/2 and
> /dev/wsmouse or /dev/wsmouse0, with the same result.
> the live-cd doesn't boot at work, but at home it
> detected the mouse (generic PS/2) as wsmouse in
> /dev/wsmouse0, should i use this config at work too?

Uuuuh... You can always try... Since the mouse isn't working now, you
can't loose, can you?

> Is there a kind of gpmd to use the mouse in consoles?

I think so. moused, I think, but I'm not entirely sure. I run NetBSD on
a headless server at home, so I never get to use a mouse with it. =)
But I'm sure there something like gpmd. It's called moused in FreeBSD
(my current primary OS), look if there's something like that in NetBSD.
Yeah, a program called moused exists.
You should really check out the NetBSD-Guide. It covers many of the
questions you've asked. =)

> At home, with live-cd, i can't mount some linux
> partition:
> how can i mount the linux partition in the extended
> partition?

I'm afraid you can't access the extended partition from NetBSD (at least
it did not work on my machine). =(

> If i want to install netbsd in the 3rd partition, does
> the 4 parition (linux extended) would be ok or lost my
> data?

If you do not mess with the partition table and just change hda3
(linux-syntax) to Type NetBSD (look up fdisk's documentation for the
hex-code), things should be just fine. You should just check the letters
in the disk-label (wd0a, wd0b, ...) for correct boundaries. Sometimes
partitions outside the disklabel slip in, appearing in between NetBSD's
partitions. Also, wd0c and wd0d cannot be used. wd0c represents the
entire disklabel, wd0d represents the entire disk (or the other way
round, I'm not that sure).
Otherwise, things should be fine. Take care not to format a
non-NetBSD-partition by accident (always check the size and boundaries
of a partition before creating filesystems). Oh, and install NetBSD's
boot-block to the NetBSD-partition, not to the MBR.
Use LILO or GRUB for the MBR.

> Thanks.

Kind regards,

Benjamin