Subject: Re: Kernel fault at startup
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/20/2004 19:11:12
--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

Roman Kennke wrote:
> >what does 'tr' tell you at this point ?

> Can I dump the output to disk (fd)? I do not want to write _this_=20
> manually ;-)

You could boot from the install CD and abort the boot countdown by
hitting some key other than enter. If you then enter "boot -a",
you'll be asked for the root (probably wd0a) and dump device (probably
wd0b) and the path to init (/sbin/init). So, you can use a kernel on
a CD or floppy to boot your system into normal multi-user mode (or
single-user). The crash dump should be in /var/log/messages, /kern/mbuf
or /var/run/dmesg.boot after that. This should work if either the kernel
is compiled or configured not to drop into ddb or if you type "sync" at
the ddb prompt.

--=20
Christian

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd