Subject: Re: NetBSD logo design competition
To: None <Netbsd-Users@NetBSD.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/15/2004 11:17:17
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 @ 00:13 -0500, Chuck Yerkes said:

> Quoting Ian Harding (ianh@tpchd.org):
> > God I wish it was.  I got told in no uncertain terms to take the logo off our internal intranet site.  It offended some prissy people.  We have to cater to the prissiest among us.  It makes me want to puke.
>
> At a wall st bank, I got a complaint from someone in the UK
> who was deeply offended that he'd receive a message from
> "the devil himself."  (daemon/uid 1).

I got reprimanded years ago for writing "offensive" code:

/* kill children inherited from original parent */
kill_adopted_threads()...   /* see, I didn't even say children here */

/* kill remaining child processes */
kill_children()...

/* find zombies and schedule kill for end of parent process */
sched_zombie_kill()...

This was, of course, a process handling library for an application.
Some woman, not even a programmer, had been assigned to "peer review" my
code.  She wrote me up for offensive comments and such.

She also picked out things like "chmod 666" which she said was
some form of "archaic spelling", and things like this:

/* clear_dead_accounts
 *
 * This routine clears dead accounts from the master file.
 *
 * NOTE: The original coder misread the specifications: this code DOES
 * NOT WORK.  It will not cause trouble, but dead accounts will not be
 * caught until monthly sweeps are done.
 *
 * TODO: rewrite function to correctly follow specification.
 *
 */

She said it was inappropriate to say that a routine is not functioning
currectly or that some other worker made a mistake, because it relfect
bad upon the corporation.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza____________________s h a n n o n@wido !SPAM maker.com