Subject: Re: recovering from a bad crash, ffs recovery
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/09/2004 14:54:07
In message <20040108202706.GA505@antioche.eu.org>, you write:

-> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 03:17:22PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
-> >
-> > I scanned for superblocks with vim and read through all the deleted
-> > directories and files... is there any way to reactivate the metadata
-> > with fsdb quickly?
->
-> Not quickly. I'd probably require an automated tool, but I don't know how
-> to do it.
-> The main problem is directory entries. We need to recover dp->d_namelen,
-> and I can't see how to do this safely in an automated way.
-> Once we have that we need tools to scan directories entries, and for each
-> of them mark the inode and associated blocks as non-free.

Doesn't TCT (coroner's toolkit) do some of this?

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill