Subject: Re: Support for affordable S-ATA RAID controllers (xs4)
To: NetBSD-users list <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/07/2004 01:15:31
Hi there Manuel,

Previous correspondence from Manuel Bouyer (00:39 6-1-2004 +0100):
>The promise is software RAID, not hardware. I think the adaptec
>is too. If you're going to use software RAID, any SATA adapter
>will do it.

If I remember correctly, I heard this was the reason why there was no
support for some older Promise RAID cards. Apparently, Adaptec now
also brings out such devices. Does it also mean the card is
unsupported under NetBSD? In that case, it would not only be obsolete
but also unfunctional.

Regarding that second remark: I suppose you mean a regular set of
drives on a (non-RAID) S-ATA controller that are turned into a
RAIDframe volume under NetBSD?

Could such drives be moved to a hardware solution (such as a 3ware
card) without having to reinstall the system and/or partitions? That
is, if you dedicate the entire drive to a RAID volume. In that case,
switching is relatively unintrusive (I heard obtaining a 3ware 8000-6
would take several weeks which would be wasted time as the rest of
the system is already here).

Thanks for your quick reply.

Rogier Krieger