Subject: Re: recovering from a bad crash, ffs recovery
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/04/2004 19:44:36
Sun, 04 Jan 2004 @ 19:09 -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix said:

> Right now, I'm not sure what happened, except the kernel on first
> booting was confused about the drive layout.  However, that shouldn't
> have caused any overwriting of the filesystem.

Whoops... one thing I hadn't thought about is /tmp being wiped.

When my system booted with the wrong drive order, it is possible that
slice d on the wiped drive was mounted as /tmp, because sd0d is the
slice for /tmp normally.

So my question is different now: there haven't been any writes to the
filesystem that got erased, so is there a way to recover the files?

Maybe a tool to tell ffs to use an alternate superblock or something?

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza____________________s h a n n o n@wido !SPAM maker.com