Subject: SCCS, CSSC
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/26/2003 05:59:56
(I guess that netbsd-users is about as good a list as any.  This isn't
really a request for help so much as a random-chatter comment...thus
netbsd-users.  (^&)

I just noticed that I have "CSSC" installed, which is a GNU version of
SCCS.  Reading the info page for it, I noticed that SCCS was under a
Berkeley license.  (Somehow, I thought that SCCS was not available to
the masses.)

Given that the GNU CSSC system is self-described as too incomplete for
actual use, I am surprised that it has been packaged but not SCCS, if
the CSSC documentation is correct that SCCS is open-sourced (and, from
the BSD point of view, generally under a better license than the GPL).
(The CSSC docs actually "strongly", I believe, discourage use of CSSC
on new projects due to incompleteness, but only provide it for use
in place of SCCS where conversion to another source code control system
is not practical and where (for some reason) SCCS, itself, cannot be
used.)

Just a random ponder.  I've never used SCCS.  I've seen references to it,
but had the impression that it was older than RCS and had little to
recommend it even if the only alternative was RCS.