Subject: ntpd, of course; was (no subject)
To: Selvan Naidoo <selvany@cat.co.za>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/19/2003 08:46:53
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Selvan Naidoo wrote:

> Is it possible to set up time synchronisation on a network with a
> Windows 2000 pc as the ntp server and NetBSD units as clients? If it
> is possible what changes should I make to either operating system.

There are ports of ntpd for win32k, but reportedly Windows 2000 makes
a lousy timeserver. You could always make one or more of the NetBSD
hosts the server(s). Check out <http://www.ntp.org>, for starters.
Besides the software for Windows, you'll also need to find a
netwise-close public time server. (There are a couple entries for
South Africa, at the bottom of the stratum 2 list.)

NetBSD ships with ntpd. NetBSD-current now has ntp-4.2.0, the latest.
There's a package for 4.2.0 for NetBSD-release, but if you've never
installed any software on NetBSD, you could skip that for now, as the
old version in the base system may be adequate.

Frederick